Friday, January 31, 2014

Why do we think, the way we do?


Why do we think, the way we do? I have been pondering over this question, since last few days. I believe each and every person ruminates about this from time to time.

Taking quite a moment, what all do we think about? How far we have come, how far we still have to reach to achieve our goal? The best that might happen, the worst that is still to come. Our optimistic and negative thinking, our strengths and our weaknesses. The person’s individual life experiences makeup the way, we view the world around us. Each and every aspect of our life is related to our way of thinking.  What we think, what we do makes us who we are today. The people we are surrounded with, somewhere have a strong influence in our life.

I remember how I was always attracted to the field of media, since my childhood. What to say, when you are all surrounded with media maniacs. I have been born and brought up in family, where each and every person has a strong bond with this world. Having a family where my dad is into producing and documentary making, my grandpa is in distribution business,  my uncle is all into editing and designing for media firms, while my sister is into advertisement making. I can go on and on about how generation after generation my family is linked to this field. This is how I decided to be a part of media industry.

Hosting programs in school, taking parts in elocutions, writing for my school magazines, giving speeches, that was the start. I remember telling my mom, “One day you will see me on that television screen and read amazing articles written by me.” I had no idea in what role she will be seeing me. I had no clear idea, what I will be writing about. It feels like penning down all your thoughts, and reliving those moments again, just to find out, what brought me where I stand presently. As a kid, our ambition keeps on changing. For once I wanted to be lawyer, if not in media.

Media is a vast field, incredible to describe. To be honest, I almost had no idea where I wanted to see myself. How can you decide when there are so many options present just in one field? While pursuing my junior college in arts, I developed an interest in writing. I proceeded with my graduation in Bachelor of Mass Media. There comes a moment in your life when you actually need someone to direct your path. It was indeed confusing when I had to choose my specialization. I did consult with my coordinator and counsellor, but still I was so confused.

I remember my dad saying, “If there’s a piece of advice that I can give you, it would be this, when there’s something you really want, you need to figure it out yourself. No one can help you with it. It your decision, you can opt either for advertising or journalism, it’s all about what you want.  Just don’t give up, go for what you want.  You will figure it out yourself, just take a while and think about it. Best things in your life don’t come for free.”

It’s about feeling content about whatever you do. I picked journalism, I love writing, have an intense interest in everything that surrounds me. There’s something magical about all this. There is passion and adventure to witness the reality and to talk and write about it. Ultimately I want to write for lifestyle, food, fashion, tour and trend columns.  
The job to be a journalist isn’t easy, one really needs to work hard day and night. Sometimes it’s all about being happy and content with all what you are doing. We don’t get unlimited changes to get what we want, it’s like an opportunity that I have to prove myself.  There’s still a lot to discover, but at least I am sure, and prepared to work as a journalist. After all, the best things in your life don’t come for free!

No comments:

Post a Comment